Sweaters are a basic for every woman's wardrobe. Petites will look better in their sweaters if they select them to fit and flatter their short figures. Here are some factors for short women to keep in mind when sweater shopping:
- Buy your sweaters in the petites department because they will fit much better than a regular size sweater, which will be too long.
- Select sweaters with a flattering neckline, such as a universally flattering v-neckline. Short women who have a wide bottom may opt for a boatneck, which helps give the illusion of broader shoulders. Avoid big cowls and turtlenecks, and instead choose a mock-neck, which is less bulky.
- Choose knits that aren't bulky. Bulky sweaters can make short women look bigger, so a sleeker, smoother sweater knit fabric works better. Look for flattering and proportional details, such as surplice styling, waistline emphasis, and small, rather than huge, ruffles.
- Select comfortable fabric. Scratchy wool knits irritate delicate skin, so if you choose a wool sweater, try it on to make sure that it isn't scratchy. Cotton and silk as well as blends with a bit of lycra are normally comfortable. If you want luxury, soft cashmere is a good choice.
- Wear well fitting foundation garments under sweaters to shape and smooth the figure.