BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Standing Up To Intimidation


Dealing with intimidating personalities, overly assertive individuals and threatening characters is difficult for any one.  However, being of a “petite frame” does not mean you have to be dominated, coerced, excluded, humiliated, controlled or, taken advantage of.  Frightening?  It most definitely can be depending on the situation and the individual you’re standing toe-to-toe with.

Are there ways to contend with a person whose physique is as intimidating as their mindset?  Sadly petite women are easy targets.  The first step is recognizing whether or not you are in an abusive situation or one of those noted above.  In an abusive situation (not just a relationship) power and control are repeatedly misused by an abuser. Visit this link http://www.womenshealth.gov/violence  and check out the Power and Control Wheel under Publications.  If you feel you fall into one of those categories, this is a wonderful site where phone numbers and assistance can be found.

Listed below are a few suggestions that may help.

-  Owning your power is a very good start.  Showing that you are a confident person and not easily intimidated without appearing threatening is one way of getting your point across.  Fear is an emotion that backs you into a corner.  Humor is a great diffuser if given in an assertive tone.  “I may be short but, I’m no pushover.”   

- In today’s environment, women regardless of their stature should know the basics of self defense.  Because you are petite, the likelihood of encountering an aggressive individual more than once in your life time is highly likely.  Knowledge brought Goliath to his knees, not brute force.  Check your community college, church, local gym, adult education center or YWCA for classes.  Gather together a committed list of 30 women and ask your local police department to give demonstrations for free.

- Honest communication is the best policy and gaining respect is sometimes just as simple as demanding it.  Shift the dynamic by looking them in the eye, relay in a calm yet, intense manner that their actions are not appreciated and will not be tolerated.  In most situations a person is controlling because you allow it.

7 comments:

Divine RC said...

Hello dear,

Thanks for being so friendly and welcoming me at Mom Bloggers Club! I just subscribed/followed you. I wonder if you would like to be a guest blogger on my site? Please email me at talesofablogger@gmail.com

Keep your great posts coming. Love your blog!

Take care!

* divine's memoirs
* the journalistic view
* giveaways and bloghops

Kati said...

Thank you for the warm wecome on MBC! I am now a follower! I will also go check out ur Facebook page!

Lindsay said...

Thank you so much for stopping by on mombloggers. LOVING your blog :) New follower!

CentsLessDeals said...

I'm your newest fan from http://www.centslessdeals.com I love your blog!! It's fantastic! I'm only 5'3 1/2 (every half in counts right?!) and I'm loving your info on the page! :)

JB

luvcobshoes said...

I am glad I found your (shoes) website and now have you on my Facebook and receiving your blogs. It gives me inspiration and confidence for I am 54 years old and very proud of my small stature for I stand only 4' 7 1/2" tall and weigh 83lbs. I dealt with alot of ignorance as well as arrogance yet they do not know me and would find alot of determination and will power in me.
Thanks and keep them coming!! :)

MOMtrepreneur said...

Hi, thanks for welcoming me. I may not be petite but this article is so helpful and informative. Love your blog :)

Mommy Karen
http://momtrepreneur.blog.com/

M's giveaway blog said...

Hi there! Thanks for the warm welcome! I do happen to be a petite person (5'4" and 100lb) so I'll probably be a regular visitor! I am also your newest follower!